Followers

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Cinderella Ate My Daughter- Orenstein

Reflection
As soon as we were assigned to read this piece I was excited because the title drew my interest. Unlike most girls I wasn't really big into the whole princess theme. I was definitely a tomboy who loved playing with the guys. However, I did have a few barbie dolls but I was never crazy over the whole typical fairy tale ending because I knew that most likely that probably was never going to happen to me. To this day I find it kinda funny because all my good friends that are girls there favorite color is pink while mine has always been blue.

Of course I have Disney movies with princesses in them that displayed prince charming coming to the rescue to save his princess, there classics. When  I was little there was a point that I did want to have this fantasy fairy tale world come true for me, however as I started dating I soon  realized things aren't as simple as a fairy tale. Another reason I feel like I wasn't a huge girly girl growing up was because I have a twin brother so a lot of the time I would want to play with him, so we would end up playing GI Joe  together or construction together, but I never would mind.

One thing for sure is that if you are a girly girl who loves princesses theirs nothing wrong with that and if your a tomboy theirs nothing wrong with that either. I say do what ever makes you happy.  When I have kids and if I have a girl I'm definitely gonna let her be her own person so she can learn what she likes and doesn't.

I don't let it bring me down the whole ideal princess and pink stage for girls. I enjoy being my own unique person because if i want I can turn to the Disney princesses to daydream about how simple my life would be if I was one, but  I like the way my life has turned out now. I like that I'm not super girly but just girly enough that I'm not on pink and glitter overload. 

A point I want to add is that shows like toddlers and tiaras don't help with the fact of girls not being like Cinderella. Instead it puts the image even deeper into their minds by having girls dress up with a bunch of makeup and a fancy dress to compete to win a crown. Some of the contestants don't seem like their having fun which makes me feel kinda bad for the child.

I can see where Orenstein is coming from with the fact that now a days girls love and grow up loving pink and princesses based on whats out their in the media and stores. An example, is the little girl I babysit her entire room is pink everywhere with a princess comforter and curtains and princess dolls everywhere.



6 comments:

  1. I LOVE the point you made:
    "One thing for sure is that if you are a girly girl who loves princesses theirs nothing wrong with that and if your a tomboy theirs nothing wrong with that either"

    completely agree...be who you are & embrace it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand why you didn't want to play with the "girly" princesses because you thought that you would never have the fairy tale that they ended up with. But personally, I think that's why so many girls look up to the princesses. They fantasize about having everything that the princesses have, so I know that it's super unrealistic and won't happen, but I personally still like to dream about what if it did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for your being a tomboy! haha. I definitely was, too. I think I played with both girly stuff and boyish stuff. If you have a daughter I would definitely recommend allowing her to choose from both, but don't forget to do the same for your son, too! There is nothing wrong with a boy who likes pink or dressing up in tutus, even though society says there is. Nice reflection! I did not know you had a twin brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to make a comment on my post about that show toddlers an tiaras, I am like horrified when I watch that show, like you said some of the girl don't even seem like their having fun. These mothers are so forceful to their daughters. Forcing them to be something they don't want. Pressuring then to fit into the mold and the ridiculously expensive dresses, with fake eyelashes and teeth. These mothers are forcing this appearance, and expensive princess like lifestyle on these children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be what you want to be regardless of the trend, that is a great motto. I love what you said," on the pink and glitter overload", but it is not just little girls. Let us remember that grown women are the same, that is why there are pink and glitter sports wear for women and girls alike. This reminds me of going shopping for a patriots jersey awhile ago and seeing all the pink and glitter jerseys that were in the store. It is nice to daydream just as long as you don't get caught up in the dream. I don't like the toddlers and tiara show, I think it is horrible objectification of little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great motto be whatever you what to be and not follow a trend. The "pink and glitter overload" is not for just little girls but for women too. I remember awhile ago going shopping for a sports jersey only to find a lot of the jersey's in the women's section to be pink and loaded with glitter. I don't like toddlers and tiaras I believe it objectifies the toddlers.

    ReplyDelete